CAMEO (Come and Meet Each Other)
Feeling well is not just about being physically fit. It’s also important that you feel well mentally. Contact with family and friends plays a vital role in this, but what do you do when your family live away? How do you enjoy the company of others if you’ve lost your spouse or partner? How do you make new friends when you live alone?
It’s a well documented fact that staying active – mentally as well as physically – being with other people, learning new skills, passing on your skills and feeling valued has a positive impact on our health and wellbeing – particularly as we get older.
One of the ways to achieve this is to join a friendship group.
CAMEO meets on the third Thursday of every month from 2pm until 4pm in the main hall at St John’s Parish Centre, Walton Back Lane. This group is a way to meet new friends over cake and a cuppa in a safe environment. Everyone is welcome and we have a programme of gentle activities, speakers and opportunities to learn something new. There is a small charge of £1 to cover refreshments and we can sometimes help with transport if there is a problem.
Why not come along and see if this is for you? Bring a friend or come alone, we promise a warm and friendly welcome.
DUE TO COVID-19, THESE SESSIONS ARE TEMPORARILY CANCELLED BUT UNDER REGULAR REVIEW.
PLEASE CONTACT THE CHURCH OFFICE FOR ANY FURTHER INFORMATION.
CAMEO Programme 2020
January 16th – Games - Play your cards right & Bingo
February 20th – Film - Mary Poppins Returns (With popcorn and ice cream)
March 19th – Easter crafts
April 16th – Talk - Well dressing
May 21st - A day at the races - dress up, wear your best hat (or not the choice is yours). Choose a winner. No gambling involved!
June 18th - Make a bird box. Construct and paint a wooden bird box
July 16th/17th – Summer CAMEO - two day event for all. Speakers, crafts, pampering and much more - £5 per person per day.(included lunch)
August 20th – Cream Tea and Poetry - bring your favourite poem to read out and enjoy a strawberry cream tea.
September 17th - Beetle drive and dominoes
October 15th - Coffee afternoon in aid of Ashgate Hospice - Bring your friend for tea and cake (£2.50) Card stall and second hand books for sale.
November 19th - Talk - John Bown
December 20th - A celebration of Christmas in music, readings and quizzes.
We would love to welcome you. We can usually arrange transport for those who have difficulty in travelling. If you require any further information, please contact the Church Office on 01246 566205.
Dementia Friendly Church
We are pleased to report that we are well on the way to being recognised as a dementia friendly church. Our action plan was accepted by the parochial Church Council and we have completed the following actions:
1. 67 people attended Dementia Friends sessions and are now dementia aware.
2. Our Welcome Team and Sidespeople will identify someone in the congregation to sit alongside a person with dementia if needed.
3. All of our services have a clear structure and clear points of learning. We have identified our Tuesday Worship service to be the most appropriate and accommodating for those living with dementia and would encourage people to try that service for themselves. Tuesday Worship has a specific service sheet with picture icons to assist those with dementia to follow the service more easily.
4. We will always consider people living with dementia for roles within the church where they are comfortable and feel able.
5. We do include familiar hymns as well as more modern songs.
6. There is a quiet room that people can use where the service can be heard through speakers.
7. We aim to make socialising easy after the service by offering a chair and bringing over a cup of tea/coffee then sitting and having a chat.
8. We are currently working to make our replacement signage clear and unambiguous.
We are pleased to report that St John’s Walton is now formally recognised as dementia friendly by the Chesterfield Dementia Action Alliance and the Alzheimer’s Society.